Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream



I found this awesome set of video clips called the "Ultimate Killers" on the BBCWorldwide YouTube channel. 

If someday I'm fortunate to make loads of money, I'd like to retire early and become a zoologist. As a kid, I vaguely remember drawing maps of animal enclosures that I had designed in my mind. I loved going to the SD Zoo and perusing the reptile and amphibian areas - and examining each exhibit for quite a bit longer than the average visitor. It must have been much too slow for those who accompanied me (mom). I remember somehow always managing to control the pace. My perceptions of reality may have become distorted with time, of course. 

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a giant raptor aviary into my Alpaca ranch. Harpy eagles can carry away monkeys weighing up to 5 kg, so I'd have to look out for the small children, dogs, and, of course, baby Alpacas. 

Here's a link showing the size of a smaller specimen.

And, this video shows Piranhas in action. 

Started work today. More on that later.

2 comments:

Phillip said...

There could not have been any pass holders in San Diego County that got better use out of their zoo passes than us! My favorite memory is standing in the amphibian cave at the reptile exhibit and looking at an unmarked exotic frog. I'll never forget the look on the faces of our fellow cavemates when Jameson told the wondering zoo-goer the name of the frog. Not many SEVEN year old reptile and amphibian experts in the world!
I loved the zoo- it kept Jameson's mind busy for hours!
Love, Mom

Jessie said...

Aww, this is so sweet. It makes me laugh to think of how Jameson would have been as a little guy. I can just imagine him staring at reptiles for hours. That's kind of how he was with the Dr. Seuss sculptures! He's so special :)