I have this student who has had issues with talking in class and then gets a horrible attitude when her misbehavior is corrected, and she's come a LONG way. Today made me realize how far she's come. This afternoon while we were about to sit down and read Superfudge, she expressed the need to write me a note. I gave her my permission; it seemed urgent enough to her. When I read her letter, I couldn't help but laugh. (You'll see why). It made me really proud, though, because she decided to reach out for help AFTER she had done everything she thought she could do to solve the problem herself--which is something I've been trying to teach these kids all year. Instead of whacking her table teammate, she wrote me a letter for support:
Dear Mrs. Haslam,
It's very hard being in a team with Reyna. She is very distracting and anoying and I keep asking her nicely to be quiet but it's not working. I'm gonna blow any second so please help me solve the problem I don't want nomore getting in trouble because of her and then getting a attitude. So please help me solve the problem.
Love,
Raven
2 comments:
Jessie, that is so amazing!!! I want to be just like you :)
I told Vicky on Sunday that we are all going to get together soon. She is excited! Me too!
That's so great. you're obviously doing something right with those kids :-) You wanna come work with my kids a little bit?
Post a Comment