Monday, March 23, 2009

The world my students live in.

Today was a sad day. The classroom phone rang while my students were writing narratives. It was the school counselor. She wanted to confirm that one of my student's brothers was shot this weekend before she proceeded with the referral paperwork she'd received from the office. I could not confirm this; I knew nothing of it. This had to be some sort of mistake. He wasn't at school today. We hung up the phone and I quickly googled what I needed to, to find out something, anything. I found something I didn't want to see. Not only was my student's brother shot (though still alive), the father of a precious little girl I taught last year was shot and killed. The article I read was tragic. If you want to read it, click here. You'll cry.

I also confiscated a bb gun from one of my students after lunch recess. My teacher training didn't prepare me for anything like this. I don't really know what to think. I'm not going to lie, I feel a little uneasy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My prayers are with you and your class, Jessie! Hang in there! It sounds like your students need you now more than ever. My new student teaching placement has introduced me to a few of things you experience. Call me any time you just want to talk.

Phillip said...

all I could think of when I read about your student's lives is how blessed they are to have one year with you. Sometimes it seems pointless-like a tiny drop of water in a huge rushing river going in the wrong direction. But we only have one life and in that one life we can choose to become cynical and complain or we can be a tiny part of the solution. It may be that the life that you touch will take generations to change, but you will be blessed for being the difference.
Love, Laurie

Katie B. said...

Wow. Once again I am amazed at your courage and capability. You give so much love to other people. Running a big classroom full of big kids (those kids are so big! They're bigger than you!) is such a challenge. You will have grown so much after two years.