Ever since I can remember knowing how to write, I prided myself on being so good at thanking people for what they had done for me with thank you notes. Every birthday party I had, thank you notes were written without delay. This feeling of needing to write everyone a thank you note came from my mom who instilled in me at a young age the importance of all of this. My sisters would make me tell them when I had written a relative a thank you note around Christmastime and such, so they wouldn't run the risk of looking ungrateful by not writing one at the same time I had. I laugh about this now.
For the past 7 months of being married, I have been working on our wedding thank you notes. And this whole time, I have felt so guilty to have not thanked people for their gifts in a timely fashion. Every time I would run into someone who I knew I didn't yet thank, I'd get this horrible feeling inside my stomach. I don't know what took me so long--if I was just overwhelmed by the sheer number of notes to write, simply the lack of time I had as a first year teacher, or my stubbornness in not letting Jameson help me write them because I thought he wouldn't do as good of a job as I would, but it took FOREVER to finish! I finally came to my senses and realized that being so overwhelmed and not letting Jameson help was ridiculous, and that's when this process sped up a bit! Most of the thank yous got written and sent out within the 3 month etiquette timetable, but quite a few still had to be written. However, tonight is the night: I am proud to announce that WE ARE DONE! Jameson and I are finished! And I am so grateful for his help! And, it turns out (after checking a few of his cards, hehe!) that he's way better at writing them than I am, so I should have wanted his help all along. Ooops!
No comments:
Post a Comment